When you are on the search for a new dentist, you want to find someone who isn’t just there to clean your teeth. You want someone that will form a connection with you and your family. Dental health is a big part of your overall health, so everyone should find the best dentist for their needs. You will want to find someone who is always on your side and will take care of your needs.
You’ll feel much more comfortable when you know and trust your dentist practice. It will make it easier to drop in for just a cleaning or even for a dental emergency. Here are a few tips to follow when you are trying to find the best fit for your dental needs.
Start Researching Your Options
Since regular offices visits are the key to an amazing smile and healthy gums, consider the smaller details when choosing a dentist. For example:
- Is the office close to work or home?
- Are their hours convenient?
- Is the dentist in your insurance network?
- Will you need a translator to talk to the dentist?
- Is he or she a member of the American Dental Association?
Launching Your Search
You have likely noticed the many advertisements for dentists, both online and off. Many still advertise through newspaper ads and through flyers in the mail, while others incorporate social media into their advertising campaigns. You may even find reviews online concerning local dentists, but it is important to remember that every person has different experiences.
You can start looking for your own dentist at these places:
- Find-A-Dentist- this is a tool offered by the ADA that will allow you to search by name, specialty, and location.
- A local dental society- They will provide you with local names of nearby offices.
- Friends, relatives, or coworkers- Ask for personal preferences from all three.
After you have chosen a couple of potential candidates, check their social media pages and their website to find out more about them. If you do not have dental benefits or can’t afford dental services, check out local dental schools or your health department to find affordable care.
Meet the Candidates
You should not be shy or concerned about meeting the dentists you are considering before deciding on one. Write up a list of any questions and concerns you have and bring them with you. You can also bring your dental records so that the dentist has them in hand to check out your history. You will then find out first-hand if the office is up to your standards. For example, is it clean? Do you feel welcome? Is the staff friendly and knowledgeable? These are important factors to consider when making your choice.
- You should always ask questions while you are meeting potential dentists. For example:
- Will he or she explain the procedures they are doing before they perform them?
- Will the office explain how you can prevent future dental health issues?
- How are emergencies handled after hours?
- Does the office take your insurance?
- Are there financial options available if you do not have adequate dental insurance?
Pick Your Dentist
Choose a reliable dentist that will be a huge part of your overall care team. You want to find someone that you can trust with your dental issues and who makes you feel safe and comfortable in their hands.
South Meadows Dental & Orthodontics
At South Meadows Dental & Orthodontics, we encourage our patients to share their past experiences and present concerns, especially anxiety issues. We want to make your experience as pleasant and relaxing as possible. Call us today to discuss your needs and goals, or fill out our online form!